Hosting a breathtaking panoramic waterfront vista of Kempenfelt Bay and a celebrated progressive art and theatre scene, along with the striking motif lent to it by its various instillations that effortlessly blend indigenous culture with avant-garde modernism as well as its status as the Gate to Cottage Country, Barrie proves it has a lot more going for it than being a GTA bedroom community. With well over a third of its one-hundred thousand and forty population unattached, let’s look at life for singles in Barrie and how they connect in the city.
How to look for singles in Barrie the old-fashioned way
Being part of the Greater Toronto Area, the city has a very active and diverse social scene with many young people opting for weekends in Toronto city. There are a few things to look out for when dating in Barrie though. For starters, many Torontonians move to Barrie for its more affordable housing, while continuing to work and socialise in Toronto, so you don’t often get to encounter this larger pool of singles while socialising. In addition, getting out and back from these surrounding communities can also be a challenge at times, if you don’t own a car, due the city’s sometimes overburdened public transit system and its often limited schedule hours.
Dating in Barrie: Where to bump into new people
- Barrie Public Library has a lot more to it than books. Meet other singles who share your intellectual interests at one of its many literary events and meet-ups or participate in one of their workshops to learn a new skill.
- Pay a visit to the iconic Barrie City Hall, whose front garden hosts a weekend farmer’s market in the summer and a public skating rink in the winter. With the crowds they attract, these events are some of the best places to meet singles in Barrie.
- Encounter new people on its majestic winter slopes at Horseshoe Resort. Join one of the many skiing groups or perhaps strike up a conversation with a stranger on one of their snowshoeing trails.
How to look for singles in Barrie online
In cities that are very central like Barrie, dating options are available well beyond the city’s limits. The right person for you may be even living in Guelph or Newmarket. However, exploring this larger dating pool the old fashioned way can feel a bit overwhelming, which is why many have turned to online dating. The use of dating apps in Barrie allows you to expand your search parameters to include neighbouring cities and is the easiest way to get the lay of the land when it comes to who else is out there.
Let eharmony do the heavy lifting
On any journey, the first step is always the hardest. But it always helps if you have someone to take that first step with. Rather than just a dating app that allows singles in Barrie to search and connect, think of eharmony as your invisible travel partner, there to support you throughout your dating journey. From walking you through the signup process to guiding you through our quick and easy Compatibility Quiz – which helps them get to know more about you and what you’re looking for – eharmony guides you along those first steps that will help not only to find the right people for you but also showcase what it is that makes you special to those you end up being matched with.
Once you’ve completed the quiz and received your Personality Profile, you’re ready to start reaching out to the people on your Match List. To help ensure successful connections from here, eharmony continues supporting you by offering tips on how to make your profile even more impactful, resources on effective ways of interacting with others online, tools for keeping the conversation going and dating tips tailored to you, so that when you two finally decide to go on a date, everything is already in the right place.
Homegrown activities and tips for your first date
Can’t come up with what to do with that special someone? Try these local date ideas in Barrie:
- Take in the work of some of Canada’s masters at the MacLaren Art Centre and finish your day over some sunset ice cream while taking in the iconic giant Spirit Catcher on the waterfront.
- Take a tour of the famously eccentric Flying Monkey Craft Brewery, who offer sixteen beers on tap or eat some premium pub grub at their delightfully vivid taproom.
- If you and your date fancy yourselves Ninja Warriors, spend the day playing around at Jack’s Urban Jungle, an expansive indoor adventure park.
Start your dating journey in Barrie with eharmony
With its one-of-a-kind breweries, adult playgrounds and its endless diary of vibrant events around its downtown area and City Hall, Barrie proves itself as a rapidly emerging social hub and cultural landmark of the GTA. One where you can bask under the glow of big city lights or beneath the shade of a giant spirit catcher while looking out onto Lake Simcoe. Why not start experiencing it with someone else today? Let eharmony help you start your next dating journey.