15 Reasons to Date An Irish Person
Ah, the luck of the Irish! Contrary to popular belief, they do not all have red hair, fiery tempers, consume gallons of ale, and believe in leprechauns. Yet Irish men and women do have distinctive traits and qualities to be admired.
To know why you should consider dating an Irish person, start with these reasons:
1. They’re family-oriented. Irish people typically are deeply devoted to their clan.
2. Get ready to laugh. Many Irish have a lively sense of humor and are fun to be around.
3. You’ll know where you stand. The Irish are known to be forthright and outspoken. You probably won’t have to wonder what’s going on in your relationship. And how refreshing is that!?
4. Irish people have an amazing artistic legacy. Among the countless creative geniuses emerging from this land are actor Daniel Day-Lewis, authors Oscar Wilde and C. S. Lewis, poet Seamus Heaney, and musicians Enya and Paul Hewson (aka Bono of U2).
5. You’ll date someone with a rich heritage. Ireland is a country with a captivating history, brilliantly detailed in Thomas Cahill’s How the Irish Saved Civilization.
6. Feel free to share your opinions. Irish men and women have strong convictions about politics, religion, sports, and many other topics. No need to sidestep issues—go ahead and speak your mind.
7. You’ll brush up on geography. After all, 73 percent of Americans can’t locate Ireland on a map lacking country names. If you date an Irish person, you would be wise to study up on your European geography.
8. You’ll know what you’re doing on St. Patrick’s Day. Along with your partner, attend a parade, visit a pub, don your green attire, and maybe learn more about why this venerable saint is celebrated each year.
9. You can chew a four-leaf clover. There’s an Irish love ritual in some regions of Ireland: If a woman eats a four-leaf clover while thinking about a man, he will fall in love with her. We think it’s worth a try—if you can find a four-leaf clover.
10. Enjoy vivid stories. Irish people have plenty of stories to tell — and usually like to tell them.
11. You can discuss many thought-provoking Irish proverbs. Such as “Never bolt your door with a boiled carrot” and “Marry a mountain woman and you will marry the mountain.”
12. You’ll enjoy great food and drink. Your Irish partner comes from the land that introduced the world to mashed potatoes, whiskey, chocolate milk, Guinness beer, and corned beef sandwiches. Enough said.
13. These people don’t let daily stresses weigh them down. Since stress isn’t a prevalent factor for the typical Irish person, they move quickly past daily challenges.
14. Your dates will not be filled with gaps in conversation. Among other widely recognized traits, Irish are well known for their “gift of gab.”
15. You’ll have a personal tour guide to a stunning country. Take a trip to your lover’s homeland and be treated to one of the most beautiful places on earth.
Why else should someone want to date an Irish person?