Did he have you at “bouillabaisse”? Here are some fun date ideas for couples who love their food.
- Visit a farmer’s market. Buy an ingredient (or two) you’ve never worked with — fiddleheads? samphire? — and plan your date-night meal around it.
- Go strawberry picking. Or go for a drive through the country, stopping at farm stands on the side of the road.
- Pack a gourmet picnic and eat in the park or by the water.
- Rent a wood oven or fire pit at a local park and cook your meal outdoors.
- Grow your own food. Don’t have a backyard? Many cities have green spaces with garden plots available for gardening. Apply early as these go fast.
- Check out a local wine and cheese festival. (Or any food festival, really. Here’s a list of some of Canada’s best.)
- Sample offerings from your city’s best chefs at a night market.
- Book a tour of a local brewery.
- Build a backyard smoker and make your own kielbasa.
- Hunt down a food truck you’ve been wanting to visit.
- Splurge on a tasting menu at the best restaurant you can afford.
- Take a cooking class together.
- Try something new, like Nepalese, Ethiopian or Afghani cuisine.
- Host a themed dinner party together. Hope Spain will win the Euro Cup? Serve up paella. Or try baking butter tarts for a viewing of the Olympic Games opening ceremonies in August. (You are cheering for Canada, right?)
- Go on a walking food tour of your city.
What’s your favourite food-related date?