Can’t stop the beat? Here are a few of our favourite date ideas for couples who love music.
- Outdoor concerts. Music always sounds better when you’re under the stars. Short on cash? There are plenty of free performances to enjoy, like Music in the Plaza, located in Calgary’s Heritage Town Square.
- Music festivals. There’s a festival for every genre. So whether you love folk, country, rock or EDM, you’ll be sure to find a weekend of music curated just for you. (Pack sunscreen.)
- Jam together. Grab your guitar and find a shady spot at the park to literally make sweet music together.
- Dress up and go to the symphony.
- Grab drinks at a jazz club.
- Go record shopping together.
- Karaoke night. Pick a duet and sing your hearts out.
- Go on a pilgrimage to locations once frequented (or made famous) by your favourite artists, like Strawberry Fields in New York City, Graceland in Memphis or the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville.
- Stay home and look back. Go for a walk down memory lane with a nostalgia-packed YouTube dance party.
- Take classes together. Learn to dance, DJ, or play a new instrument.
- Go see a musical. Broadway is hot right now. (Good luck getting tickets to Hamilton.) If you can’t get to NYC, catch a touring show in your own city.
- Grab dinner or drinks at a pub with live music.
- Join a local choir together.
- Have a music-themed movie night. Screen a classic musical, rock documentary, or cult-status comedy like That Thing You Do! or This Is Spinal Tap.
- Attend a free classical music concert on a summer afternoon. (The Toronto Music Garden hosts Summer Music Garden, a series of free concerts, on Thursday evenings and Sunday afternoons all summer long.)