“Love don’t cost a thing,” but dates usually do. Here are some dos and don’ts for dating when broke.
Dating When Broke: Don’ts
1. Don’t not date because you’re broke. Many couples go through “for poorer” phases. Don’t limit your chances at finding love just because your bank account has seen better days.
2. Don’t misrepresent your financial circumstances. Lying about money is worse than having none of it.
3. Don’t go into debt. Even when broke, you can prove yourself financially responsible when what little you do have. Live — and plan dates — within your means.
4. Don’t borrow or mooch off your date. Just don’t do it. Ever.
5. Don’t whine. Insecurity about finances is often a greater turnoff than poverty itself.
Dating When Broke: Dos
1. Talk about money — honestly. Let your date know that things are tight financially. It will help manage expectations, open up a dialogue about money, and show your date that you’re willing to be vulnerable and open with him/her.
2. Plan for fun cheap dates: picnics, hikes, romantic dinners at home, free concerts are all great options when money is tight.
3. Budget for special occasions. (Subscribing to coupon sites can help cut costs, too.)
4. It’s the thought that counts. Pick wildflower bouquets. Write her a song. Cook his favourite meal. Reenact your first date. Aim for sentiment and romance: they always trump cash.
5. Still pursue, initiate and woo. Don’t let a lack of cash get in the way of communicating that your think your significant other is special.