Colder weather brings cabin fever… it’s time to break out the games! Here are our picks for date night, a dinner party, or a large family gathering.
Games for Date Night (2 people)
All references to hanky-panky aside, there are plenty of games for two people.
- Challenge each other to a game of strategy — or good spelling. Dust off the checkers, chess or Scrabble board.
- See who has the steadiest hand with a round or two of Jenga or Crokinole.
- Get to know each other better with Would You Rather, forcing each other to choose between two extreme situations. (Would you rather have a head the shape and size of a baseball or of a trash can lid?)
Games for Dinner Parties (4 to 6 people)
When dinner’s over, pour a few drinks, relax on the couch and play a game or two.
- Get to know your guests better with Two Truths and a Lie, Never Have I Ever (with or without alcohol) or Marry, Shag, Kill.
- Bring back childhood favourites. Now’s the time to play Twister, Mousetrap or Operation.
- Get out the “grownup” board games: Ticket to Ride, Rummikub and Settlers of Catan are a few of our favourites.
Games for Family Get-togethers and Big Groups (6+ people)
With a group this size, most board games aren’t an option — unless it’s a team game like Cranium or Pictionary. Here are some board-free options for a crowd.
- You can’t go wrong with a euchre tournament. Even Grandma can join in.
- You’ve played Telephone. You’ve played Pictionary. Now it’s time to get out the scrap paper and play crowd-favourite Telephone Pictionary. (Learn how here.)
- Play games that require no materials, just a sharp mind and a sense of humour, like Questions or Fortunately Unfortunately.
What are your favourite games to play when the weather outside is frightful?
Would You Rather: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Would_you_rather
Two Truths and a Lie: http://matadornetwork.com/life/7-boardless-cardless-games-to-play-anywhere/
Never Have I Ever: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Have_I_Ever
Never Have I Ever (without alcohol): http://www.icebreakers.ws/small-group/never-have-i-ever.html
Marry, Shag, Kill: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversation_games
Telephone Pictionary: https://derailedtelephonepictionary.wordpress.com/what-is-telephone-pictionary/
Fortunately Unfortunately: http://matadornetwork.com/life/7-boardless-cardless-games-to-play-anywhere/