It’s harvest season — and Halloween is just around the corner — making it prime time to encounter a scarecrow. Should a hay-man ask you out this fall, here are our top reasons to give him a chance.
15 reasons to date a scarecrow:
- Overalls are in.
- And plaid never goes out of style.
- Your date is probably very diligent about fire safety.
- Scarecrows have a real purpose in life and can be proud of their work. They serve (farmers) and protect (their crops).
- Have a thing for sensitive bad boys? Scarecrows know how to intimidate when on the job, but are real softies (literally) when off the clock.
- If your date gets wounded, it’s probably nothing a little straw can’t fix.
- Scarecrows are iconic but rare. With the introduction of high-tech versions and chemicals, large farms have stopped using them. Your date is a classic, essentially the Cary Grant of agricultural tools.
- If L. Frank Baum’s The Wizard of Oz taught us anything, it’s that heart and courage more than make up for a scarecrow’s lack of brains:
“All the same,’ said the Scarecrow, ‘I shall ask for brains instead of a heart; for a fool would not know what to do with a heart if he had one.’ ’I shall take the heart,’ returned the Tin Woodman, ‘for brains do not make one happy, and happiness is the best thing in the world.”
- Then again, maybe scarecrows have brains after all. In Kojiki, the oldest surviving book from Japan, a scarecrow appears as a deity who knows everything about the world.
- Hoping to head south when the snow comes? Scarecrows have the winters off.
- If your date finds himself short on field work, he can always head to Hollywood and break into horror films.
- You might not know it from their stationary work, but some scarecrows have great rhythm. (Michael Jackson played one in The Wiz.)
- Date idea: Road trip to Joe’s Scarecrow Village in Cape Breton, so your date can be with his people.
- Scarecrows spend their days alone in farmers’ fields. Your date will appreciate your company.
- Your date is famous! Kids will be dressing up like him this Halloween, the ultimate compliment.