Still haven’t tried online dating? What are you waiting for? Here are 15 reasons to give it a try:
1. You’ll meet all kinds of new people you wouldn’t meet otherwise.
2. It can get you out of a dating rut. You might end up dating someone who’s different than your usual “type” — and it might be very, very good for you.
3. It’s good for the ego. Getting messages from interested strangers can help boost your dating self-esteem.
4. It’s time-efficient. We don’t buy the excuse that online dating takes up too much time. Date online and you can filter out poor matches before you meet, saving you from time-wasting bad dates.
5. Online dating profiles force you to articulate what you’re looking for. Not only does this help potential matches, this helps you clarify your own needs, values and expectations in dating, upping your odds of finding success in the romance department.
6. You’ll know what potential dates are looking for, too. (No more guessing whether or not your date is interested in pursuing a serious, committed relationship.)
7. There’s less pressure. You can communicate with a few matches before deciding if any of them are coffee-date worthy. And new matches pop up all the time, freeing you from the pressure of having to “make it work” with one of your current matches.
8. Online dating can help cure users of their fear of rejection. There’s a wider pool of individuals to connect with: some will be great matches, some won’t.
9. You can get to know someone before the first date. If blind dates are too nerve-wracking for you, never fear: online dating lets you communicate back and forth with someone, upping your comfort level with him/her, before you decide to meet in person.
10. It helps you get “back out there.” If it’s been a while since you’ve dated, online dating is a great way to reenter the dating scene.
11. You’ve tried “everything else.” If waiting to meet someone organically isn’t working out for you, take an active role in your dating life and try meeting someone online.
12. On sites like eHarmony, you’re only shown matches who are compatible with you in certain areas. Compatibility pre-screening is way better than meeting a stranger in a bar.
13. Everyone else is doing it. The stigma of meeting a significant other online doesn’t exist anymore. Don’t be the last to try it.
14. You might learn a thing or two about yourself. Will you overanalyze every online exchange? Will you, usually cripplingly shy, quickly find the courage to ask out a cute stranger? You might even discover you’re quite the catch.
15. It might actually work. What do you have to lose?